PMP - In Good Standing - 2024 01 14
When it came time to renew my PMP certification I decided to let it go. I was working 500+ hours a month looking after Mom and her family caregiving operation. I had finished my last full time job a year ago and was not in a position to seek out another full time consulting appointment. I was working part time for Artist Response Team, that work did not relay on my continuing professional certification.
Things changed this month because the Evidence Alliance activated the Strategic Patient Oriented Research (SPOR) research topic I had submitted in 2022. In my first meeting with the research team I was given two assignments: Project Manager and Researcher (Social Science discipline). After the meeting I realized I was not ready to retire my PMP certification.
Today I went through the process of submitting all the professional development work I did between August 2, 2020 and August 1, 2023.
I have to admit, it was surprisingly satisfying to recap the work I did in that time.
First, I was working fulltime with David Martin at Renovation Science to normalize Project Management Institute practice standards and frameworks into residential renovations operations. We were able to use a combination of Google accounts, Airtable no code / low code database, InstaGantt scheduling, and Quickbooks Desktop to develop a single entry data processing system to manage workflows for a small, highly mobile crew. In the summer of 2022 I was able to handoff the workflow to David and at that point my work for Renovation Science was completed.
Second, we moved my frail elder Mom into our basement suite, and I moved in with her, on November 1, 2021. Throughout 2022 I worked on developing project management standards and frameworks for managing operations in a family caregiving setting. This work resulted in submitting a research topic for funding the SPOR Evidence Alliance, “Cost-effectiveness of home care versus assisted living facilities for individuals requiring additional supports”. This research topic was shortlisted to a group of 65 for further discussion and then selected as one of twenty projects to receive funding. During the intervening time, after developing the question and waiting for results, I worked on applying project management practice standards and frameworks in our family caregiving setting for scalability and replicability for other family caregivers. I published this work in a series of blog posts shared out on my LinkedIn profile and through my modest Facebook network.
Third, I worked with my sister, Holly Arntzen, at Artist Response Team, to pivot out of the Covid shut down with a new initiative in partnership with the Skwah Nation and Indigenous language learning through ecology science and music. My focus was training leadership at Artist Response Team to incorporate project management practice standards and frameworks into multiple small projects funded from disparate institutional sources, invoicing and paying out project funds on behalf of several Indigenous partners. We developed a workflow for managing budgeting and invoicing processes, as well as contract agreements. In addition, we also developed a communication strategy for utilizing Google Drive, Blogger, and Google Sites to share out project communications for dissemination by funding organizations to foster widespread community stakeholder engagement.
Fourth, and last, I developed a fast start, agile response online software infrastructure that utilizes free versions of Google accounts, Airtable, and Smartsheet. This workflow is suited to no / low budget project initiatives that need to maximize effective planning, execution, tracking and reporting while maintaining low barriers for collaboration and resource sharing.
It feels very satisfying to summarize the work I have done for the past three years. Although the impact and the range was of modest scope, this work was always done with toward replicability and scalability. It is available to anyone who needs to get their idea off the ground and they need it well organized out the gate.

Comments
Post a Comment