Christmas Lights - 2024 12 17
I was finally inspired to untangle my motley collection of Christmas lights and figure out an arrangement to bring winter coloured lights into our life. Each string of lights now has a few bulbs that don't light. I have tried to find and keep replacement bulbs, but have given up. Now I appreciate the dark bulbs as reminding me of lights that have gone out but are still with us: Matt's Mom and Dad, my Mom, Skipper, Jethro.
Last night I started learning Stan Roger's song, First Christmas, but finally had to stop because the sentiment in the lyrics and the sad melody were just opening up floodgates of grief. It felt good to get in touch with those feelings. To not try to pretend that they aren't part of the season. Many of us are facing our first Christmas without family, friends and cherished animal companions.
We can appreciate the quiet and the darkness of the season as a way to pay our respects to those who are gone. We can celebrate with songs and stories, and colourful lights to assert our determination to do the hard work of building strength in our families, our neighbourhoods and our communities. I appreciate the quiet and the darkness. I'm inspired by the strange song that is writing itself right now about Adele as a response to playing First Christmas. I am bolstered by the strings of lights and my improvised arrangement this year.
I will leave the lights on today. The rain is coming in and I still need to get Adele out for her morning walk. Some lights will shine bright, some will go dark as another winter season passes. I am grateful for the work ahead.

Comments
Post a Comment