Singer / Songwriters Online - 2025 03 19
These are early days as we figure out how to build our capacity and capability for songwriting and performance through a Zoom-based process.
Debrief notes:
- Simpli.events Registration 1 - We used Simpli.events for our registration, it worked fine. I had some trouble with the Zoom link embedded in the registration email because I had trouble setting up the initial Zoom account and being able to export the link. We were able to do a workaround this time, I just sent the Zoom link by text so Leif could log in immediately. I can fix this problem from my end.
- Zoom Critique 1 - it turned out we didn't need to mute as much as I thought, when we played for each other, we were learning each other's songs, and listening, we didn't have to play together so much. It is necessary to click the Zoom link for original sound when I am hosting the Zoom gathering, that clicks it for everyone, at least, that's what we think happened. You can't hear an instrument playing if you don't click for original sound.
- Zoom Critique 2 - when we did play together, we did mute Leif, he was able to play along, it gave us a chance to check the chart and how well it was working. It turns out I will re-write this chart with an arrangement that is easier for instrumentalists to play along.
- Songwriting process 1 - it was very helpful to have another songwriter take a close look at the song I have been working on lately. It helped me identify the lines of the lyrics that still needed fine tuning. It helped me to see that the chords and arrangement are solid and won't need to be changed. It helped me to perform the song over Zoom to a listener, it helped me to externalize the song and give me a chance to see where my performance might need improvement (always!);
- Songwriting process 2 - Leif didn't have much time left so we weren't able to give equal time to his song. His song is in the early drafting stage, writing lyrics and finding out what stays, needs adjustment, or may be part of another song. As a listener, I was able to point out the lyrics that I thought were particularly strong, and also, how the overall theme or concept of the song was landing. In this case, Leif's new song struck me as being timely, topical and timeless.
- Next Steps - I am going to set up for the next Singer / Songwriter Online for Monday, March 24 at 3 pm PST. I am hoping to recruit three more musicians so we can have a gathering of 5 of us. This way, I can try setting up breakout rooms for the song workshop section. We also want to have a song sharing section to open the gathering and to close the gathering.
- We both found the experience helpful and energizing for moving our songwriting forward.
Back to registration site:


Comments
Post a Comment